Welcome

I hope you enjoy and find my blog useful. Please feel free to link, comment, or give your advice. Make yourself at home and come back daily as I will be updating daily.
Grace and Peace,
Ed
My photo
I'm a 54 year old Husband, Father of Four Daughters, Pastor and Vice Principal of a private K-12 school on Long Island.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Freedom Part Two


I got a lot of reponse from the Freedom post from a few days ago so I feel to explore this issue further and put a part 2 on it. Freedom is a concept that crosses all three plains of our existence. Our spirit, Our soul and Our body all long for freedom. Again, I'd like to define freedom as the ability to make choices. When someone is bound or held captive in some way their choices have been limited. To feel bound is one of the worst feelings there is. To feel out of control is often a cause for great anxiety and the resulting poor health that goes along with it.

The Apostle Paul says in Romans chapter 5, "Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned.
But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of that one man’s sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. If, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous."

Freedom of spirit. We see then that the Bible states that we are born in sin. The biblical book to the Romans says, We are all born bound. Some of the wrong things we do we know are wrong but we do them anyway! Have you ever wondered, "Now why did I do that or why the heck did I say that"!? This demonstrates a lack of freedom in the spirit.

Paul said it this way in the book of Romans chapter 7, " For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me".

Paul is saying here that there is something keeping him bound, reducing his choices and in fact causing him to choose the wrong thing. While I do not support such sayings as "The devil made me do it". We can see that Paul is not saying that. He is saying that there is something inside of him limiting his ability to make right choices. That something is sin. It is not just the act of sin but the sin principal working in Paul.

Sin is what binds our spirit up and causes it not to be free but thank God that then Paul goes on to say in Romans 8, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot."

Freedom of the Spirit depends on an active relationship with Jesus Christ! Whom the Son sets free is free indeed! Ask Jesus to come into your life and to open up His word to you. I have personally seen Him free hundreds of people that I know! Ask him to free you from areas that you have lost control in. Ask and you shall receive! Just ask and come to Him daily and you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free! It is His delight to free you! Be honest and open with God. Tell Him what you need and want. Commune with Him daily in your heart. He loves you so much!
Tomorrow I'll discuss Freedom of the soul!

Again I'd like to thank the people at logos software for creating and supporting what I feel is the best Bible software available anywhere! If you'd like a copy of this fantastic software just drop me a line at Rjonodde@aol.com and I'll send you a 25% discount cupon.

Grace and Peace,
Ed

No comments:

Upper Room Christian School

My Pet Guest List

Medical Disclaimer

These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. This blog is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. You should consult with your medical professional before beginning any diet or exercise program!

Intelectual Property

The contents of this blog are the property and oppinion of it's writer and no reproduction is intended without advance permission.